Welcome to the Spritely Institute Discourse - Introduce yourself here!

Hello everyone, you can call me Avon. I am a contributor to a project called Briar. I’m interested in experimenting with nearby device networking layers (like Bluetooth, WLAN, p2p WiFi) & Goblins/OCapN.

For a while now, Briar project has been interested in providing a p2p development platform (some great details in this 2016 write up by another Briar Contributor: Dymaxion: Briar and Bramble: A Vision for Decentralized Infrastructure) and I think pairing Goblins and OCapN with some nearby-device networking capabilities could lead to some interesting ideas.

Excited to join this community!

3 Likes

Welcome!

Oh awesome! Briar is a really interesting project. I think adding netlayers like the ones you mentioned sounds really exciting. I’ve been doing a lot on netlayers of late including writing a draft spec and working on other netlayers for Goblins. If you need any help or want to discuss them further, I’m happy to chat or help out, I’m @tsyesika:matrix.org on matrix or you can of course message me on here.

There’s also the OCapN pre-standardization group which meets every month (2nd Tuesday), you’re more than welcome if you’d like to join. We’re discussing standardization both for the whole of OCapN, including netlayers.

3 Likes

Welcome indeed.

I had looked at Briar cause I was looking for Delay&disruption Tolerant Networking for smartphones, esp32, and wifisd.

I been musing for a while how to combine AmbientTalk, Smart Messages, and my ActiveCapCert (WIP) stuff to these kind of DTN stuff. I would love to discuss this kind of ideas here.

(Was edited to add links)

2 Likes

Hello! Thanks so much for your work on the draft spec, I was reading through it earlier this week to try and get a better understanding of OCapN.

The OCapN pre standards meetings sound really interesting, I will try to make it!

Thanks so much for these links, really interesting work!

I’m also interested in exploring how to handle DTNs with Goblins/OCapN. I’m still very new to Scheme and Lisp programming, but one idea that’s been mentioned to me that I quite like is having some additional syntax to help Goblins programmers work with DTN layers vs more “real-time” netlayers like tcp or tor.

Maybe it would be useful to make a separate post in this forum to have longer form discussions about DTNs with OCapN/Goblins?

Please do start a thread!

1 Like

Hello All,

My name is Daniel. My only notable public work perhaps is a rewrite of Go on mobile’s encoding and decoding of android resources to improve testability (we like our fast compile times there I guess).

I’ve only recently invested time into learning scheme as I look to explore my varying interests in design. Generally interested in decentralization as a practical matter, Milner’s Calculus of Communicating Systems as a mode of thought and design, and things that make noise.

The work happening here further evokes dreams of unencumbered collaborative sound exploration and the work on wasm means maybe I get to explore a lot of tangents at once (and equally get nothing done).

Should be fun either way, but I’ve joined to share if something does actually get done.

Thanks

2 Likes

Approaches to Delay Tolerant Networking

Done :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m bitnik, a retired software developer with a C/C++/C# background. I started learning Scheme in 2000 because it was a way to pursue my coding and scripting passion on a pocket computer (Fred Bayer’s Lispme on PalmOS) and progressed from there through Guile (1.6 or thereabouts) to Chicken Scheme.

More recently I have become more interested in privacy. Spritely Institute’s work on several fronts has interested me, and the Hoot/Wasm interface sounds like fun.

2 Likes

Hi! I’m an open source developer, I’m excited about everything Guile/Guix so definitely Spritely has been on my radar from a while.

My latest hack is a Shepherd service that decrypts secrets for other services on a ramfs/tmpfs. Last night I had this enlightenment moment where I thought that this could be solved much more elegantly with Goblins (my approach has several downsides, some related to access control list security model).

I still need to smooth out some technical edges but I hope to be able to share something with you soon.

2 Likes

hello, i am a hobbyist who has been using scheme for around ~3 years or so, and currently I am looking into wasm and hoot to see if I can make a somewhat useful prototyped scheme(-like?) system with wasm.

3 Likes

We’ve got some new folks just joined during our GuixDays/FOSDEM trip -
@elviejo @NonchalantFox @zardoz @lnlsn @jonny @Retropikzel @rweir @DanGillmor and @Acoustic_Mirror !

If you haven’t already, please introduce yourselves!

2 Likes

Hi,

Please excuse my lurking. I joined this forum during GuixDays, but with no relation to it - it just so happened that I noticed that the Spritely forum was no longer invite-only, and decided to take a peak. I have been following the Spritely Institute’s work mainly over at Mastodon (I’m @acousticmirror@post.lurk.org there - see, I love lurking!), mainly thanks to Christine’s enthusiastic posts on the subject. I’m interested in the work done, and have enjoyed seeing other important Guile/Scheme figures join the team (Wingo, Templeton, Thompson).

Otherwise, I find it difficult to speak of myself due to the danger of this post turning into a wall of text. I’m an artist and researcher based in Madrid, Spain, and I work with sound, acoustic ecology, and experimental music. Years ago, a flatmate told me that I didn’t live in Madrid, I live in Emacs, and I’m afraid they weren’t entirely wrong. I have an interest in Lisp-family languages (and have re-discovered Guile, mainly thanks to Wingo’s epic blog posts and Christine’s work), and I’m generally interested in media programming (live-coding, things that sound like a dying washing machine, etc.)

I’m here mainly to (hopefully) learn something.

Best,

K.

3 Likes

Hello!

I’m Nathan, on the day to day I’m a Python developer and I got interested in Lisps and Schemes because when I was still a student, I ended up picking Emacs as my main driver (especially to take notes) and I fell into the Lisp rabbit hole in the mean time.

I ended up playing around a bit with Racket, saw Guile mentioned as well and here we are. I have actually coded very little with Guile so seeing the forum open after FOSDEM and Christine’s excellent talk pushed me to see what was going on in here =)

4 Likes

I’m Mike Sugarbaker, I live at gibberish.com, and I’ve been kicking around the web world for 30+ years. I might be best known for a couple pieces of writing I did a really long time ago. Nowadays I’m into electronic music and, uh, burnout recovery.

Lots of heavy hitters in this thread, wow. I hope to find a way to be useful. I vacillate between wanting to build a big mega-communication tool for everything, and wanting to go even more meta and make a programming framework. Probably neither is a great idea.

2 Likes

Hello, my name is Chris. I’m also known as YAAPS and AceNovo. 50 Hertz is a joke about my age. I’ve been on hiatus a couple years but I’m interested in catching up on the latest with Spritely and resuming development on infrastructure for my epic distributed game, Yong Henge

1 Like