Welcome to the Spritely Institute Discourse - Introduce yourself here!

Hey @flatwhatson, welcome! As you know I’ve been very excited by your work on guile-prescheme! I actually hadn’t realized you worked on guile-gemini, or that it even existed! Fun!

1 Like

Hi, I’m Emery (sometimes ehmry). I was first introduced to capability security as a user and contributor to the Genode OS framework. These days I sometimes work on ERIS (content capablities) and the Syndicated actor model (https://syndicate-lang.org/).

I’ve been told I’m a “system-level” developer and I do prefer to work closer to the operating system than higher level social stuff, but I’m looking forward to the things Spritely is building and I’ll try to help out where I can.

My code dumping grounds:
https:// codeberg.org/eris
https://git.syndicate-lang.org/ehmry

4 Likes

Hi! My name is Diana Thayer. I’m a professional software developer who’s working on everything from distributed databases to web apps of various kinds. My specialty is distributed systems, particularly P2P protocols and clustered databases. Oh, and I’ve been on The Fediverse since 2017.

To say I’ve been impressed by Spritely’s technologies would be an understatement. There’s an astonishing vision at work here. I’m happy to be learning about things like Goblins, Eris, etc., because I feel their paradigms fit the problem space of networked social data better than any other existing technologies.

Uh anyway hi!

4 Likes

Hello y’all! I’m Arcade W. (they/them) <arcades.agency>. I’m from the southern US, but I’ve lived all over, and I’m a sophmore in HS at Innovation Academy, a new STEM magnet school in Alpharetta GA, I’ve been into this side of the internet for about 2 years now, with indieweb being my introduction. I’m not as cool as all of you, but that’s mostly because I’m not as old as all of you yet :3 I’m currently part of the BridgeUp Georgia Tech project, where I’m working on health informatics, and I’m an honorable mention for the Aspirations In Computing award. I really like the permacomputing culture, and I’m working on a secret-ish project to maybe get nlnet funding!

2 Likes

Hello! What an impressive group of people here :slight_smile: I’m glad to be joining!

My name is Pere (often using the nickname fr33domlover on the internet). I live in israel/palestine. I’ve been watching Spritely’s progress for a long time and I’m very excited about it.

I work on ForgeFed, a protocol for federating software forges and other services related to the software development lifecycle (everything involving project and task management, wikis, CI/CD, static site/page deployment, code review, issue tracking, organizational access permission management, decision making, etc. etc. …)

ForgeFed has been based of ActivityPub since 2019, and in 2022 I defined a whole custom OCAP system for it, based on AS2 and AP vocabulary, including delegation and everything. After implementing much of it, I started noticing how inconvenient and painful it was, re-purposing a social notification system like AP for complex RPC interactions. So I very recently decided to start exploring a new direction, using Cap’nProto. Having lots of fun between the struggles :stuck_out_tongue:

I study, explore and practice Nonviolent Communication and other tools related to creating a world that works for all. Decision-making processes and systems that allow everyone’s needs to be taken into account. Conflict engagement. Feedback that orients to group learning. Moving towards vision and purpose with care and awareness of available capacity, gradually increasing it with each step. Using healing tools and explicit agreements, to gradually liberate ourselves from the conditioning of patriarchy, transforming habits that block us into habits that support flourishing and self fulfillment. And lots more stuff! I’m looking for chances to help people, teams and organizations with these things. So feel free to ask me anything :heart:

I’m mentioning these things because I believe they’re related, and crucial: Successfully switching to a truly decentralized internet may require to also switch our culture and our decision making methods into ones that support us in a world of “power with” instead of “power over”. Otherwise, we may find ourselves re-creating the same structures of domination that exist everywhere around us (and even internalized within us).

I made some little silly computer games as a curious teenager, but the tools had limits. So I learned C++ and played with it for a while, struggling with the mental model, eventually dropping it. Programming Languages university course introduced me to Scheme and functional programming. I instantly fell in love with FP, and after quitting university I learned the Haskell programming language. I was on the Diaspora federated social network and wanted very much to create a software forge that would be decentralized in the same way. And I started it in 2016 from scratch, in Haskell (probably for no practical reason other than being in love with the workflow of developing in it), without knowing yet how I’d federate it. In 2019 ForgeFed started and I implemented it in my cute little forge, essentially turning it into the reference implementation.

Between 2019 and 2022 I had funding for ForgeFed from NLNet. The funding ended in November, and I’ve applied for more. Currently (Dec 5) waiting for their decision. If it gets approved, I’ll probably be spending a year defining and implementing ForgeFed using distributed actor capability programming, in particular using Cap’n Proto. I wonder what would happen if I thought of this back in 2019. I suppose there’s a right time for everything.

I’ve asked tons of OCAP related questions on IRC in the last few months, and I’m deeply grateful for all the help and advice that people here have given me, especially when being already very busy with your own projects :pray:

5 Likes

Hi Spritely. I’m ckie, I use they/them pronouns, have a currently outdated website here and am a daily user (and occasional developer) of things in the ActivityPub and Matrix cinematic universe (:

I’m trying to do my part in securing the future of the personal, intimate parts of the internet and so far for me that has been catching up with the state of the art in social dynamics (how people talk; what makes communities fall apart; how to avoid that), federated protocols (I’m still very impressed by Matrix’s design) and peer-to-peer decentralized networks (transport, Yggdrasil and its predecessors) and all the wonderful overlaps of those things.

I have had a lot of project ideas as I’ve adopted anarchist thoughts from the existing communities I’ve traveled to, and they are everchanging but they’re starting to slow down and stabilize as I’m reaching a stabler isotope of ckie, learning about burnout and how to code and write harder problems on my own terms and not just as an instinctive response to bad news–essentially pacing myself.

I asked to be invited here yesterday because some of my praxis-able projects I’ve pathfound to have been very similar to Spritely’s vision with Goblin Chat and its friends to the point of me naturally rediscovering the identity model and all of those things while chatting in the Matrix.org spec channel.

In the past I’ve done things without knowing why and today I do things intentionally and intuitively. I’m glad to see there are others on this planet who care: a whole forum of people here and many more elsewhere.

and the universe said I love you because you are love.

3 Likes

Hello. I’m a hobbyist user of GNU Guile packages in Debian, which as of 2023 are gcrypt, git, gnutls, json and sqlite3. Looking forward to fibers, goblins, haunt and other fun things to make their way from only Guix setups to the wider GNU/Linux world.

2 Likes

Bonjour, I am François-René Rideau, a.k.a. Faré. You might know me from the old TUNES.org project, my thesis on First-Class Implementations, my formerly maintaining the ASDF build system for Common Lisp, my blog Houyhnhnm Computing, or my involvement with Gerbil Scheme.

I never forgot about my earlier plans to reinvent Computing using Reflection, and my current startup Mutual Knowledge Systems is for me a vehicle to fund this reinvention by building a secure environment to run decentralized applications capable of safely handling cryptocurrencies. As a contribution see our Glow DSL for DApps.

I see Spritely, Agoric, etc., as inspirations and maybe future technology partners on the way to building such an environment.

3 Likes

Hello! I am Vivianne, you can call me Vivi or vv, or even w if you pronounce it “vivi”. My pronouns are vae/vaem/vaer (vae are x, I met vaem yesterday).

I currently can be found at @vv@solarpunk.moe on Mastodon, @vv:solarpunk.moe on Matrix, and vivi@xmpp.solarpunk.moe for XMPP.

I have hung out a bit on the #spritely IRC/matrix chat for a bit. Have been interested in Spritely and its work with Decentralized Networking for some time now, but have just started hacking with Goblins and am trying to learn and improve!

I’m a software developer and have used multiple languages, and am learning Guile for this!

I co-run the community at https://solarpunk.moe . Hope to get to know everyone!

3 Likes

Greetings! I’m Jack and use he/him pronouns (they acceptable as well).

I became aware of Spritely and Christine’s other projects by way of Guix. Historically, I haven’t been that engaged in traditional social software, but look forward to seeing what comes out of this effort. I’m also interested in exploring how the distributed an decentralized world of Spritely can be bridged with traditionally managed communities like XMPP (something from XMPP-land that I find intrieging and well-done is how Snikket is developing a compelling and understandable product experience without locking away the underlying protocol allowing integration with other XMPP communities and experiences).

Through my involvement with the Internet Hosting Coöperative, I’ve developed an interest in community-owned computing. I’m also interested in developing software tools to help groups and organization (e.g. clubs, charities, or political parties)with collaboration and governance.

I’m also interested in how Goblins might be used to build capabilities-secure and distributed non-social applications. @garbados I’m interested in learning more about clustered databases. I’ve also been taken into the cult of fancy type systems and correctness proofs, so am interested in seeing their applicability to Goblins.

I work in an academic library. While I don’t yet know if Goblins will be applicable to our work, in the big picture we’re working to help society weather some of the same storms around truth, autonomy, misinformation, and empowerment.

Best,
Jack

P.S. When I’m not on the computer, I also enjoy communicating by letter writing (happy International Correspondence Writing Month! If you’d like to receive a letter from me, let met know) and amateur radio.

3 Likes

Hi I’m Abraham Palmer (he/him) in the piedmont region of North Carolina in the USA. I’m a bread baker currently (https://boxturtlebakery.com/), but used to do IT for large companies professionally. Being out of IT formally, gave me the freedom to explore a bunch of interesting ideas that my uninspired computer science classes in college and my professional career didn’t take me to. I like exploring languages and have done some personal projects in Factor a sort of concatenative Lisp and Elm. I found Spritely looking into scheme by way of guile. Being in the farm to table space, I’m really interested in how I can apply some little bits of technology that help my community in a way that is mindful of our low-energy future. I’ve done some work with the still in alpha and very delayed Holochain as a part of a general interest in the peer-to-peer space. I think it has a different security model than OCAP, but I need to go study your white-paper to characterize it. Holochain is a nice project because it is trying to solve the distributed hosting aspect of things too in a low-tech friendly way. It seems like that this recreation of how we do things is terribly important, but also legitamately complicated so I can’t fault all the various projects out there that just get pieces of it right or put the pieces together slowly. I’m not sure how I might best contribute to your work, but appreciate your creating this high quality forum and letting me try to learn something.

3 Likes

Hi!
I’m Jay (they/them, he/him). I’ve been thinking about (computer-aided) social networks for over twenty years. I have moderate-severe Myalgic Enzephalomyelitis (f.k.a. Chronic Fatigue Syndrome), at the moment I’m not able to significantly contribute as even daily life maintenance is often more than I have energy for. So I hope to just lurk here from time to time and see how the space develops.
I like to think I’m good at certain aspects of software engineering, and if/when my health or accomodations will allow, I expect I’ll be doing some great stuff with Goblins.

2 Likes

I’m Robby. You can refer to me using ‘he’ or ‘they’. I’m an electrical engineer turned software engineer currently working for a large retail company on their ecommerce system in ruby and elixir. I swim semi-competitively and play saxophone in a local concert band. I like to hike, mountain bike, swing dance, and dabble in systems administration. In the next month, I’m moving across town, getting married, and going on a honeymoon, so I’ll just be lurking here until at least July.

3 Likes

We have a new batch of users from the most recent DWebCamp.

Please introduce yourselves,
@benedict @k9d @recipromancer @yar & @travis!

1 Like

Hello all, my name is Rob Morris. It’s a pleasure to be here. I’m an Aussie technologist, entrepreneur, angel. I’ve been working in the web & emerging tech since the 90s. I wear many hats, but the interest closest to my heart - via fundaomental - is working on cooperative, positive-sum coordination and related technologies.

I first heard about Spritely at dWeb camp this year. Your perspectives, values and approach all resonate strongly with me, and seems very aligned. I’m delighted to be here.

Here’s a post I wrote a while back articulating some of my perspectives at a very high level:

2 Likes

Hello, my name is Benedict Lau. I am based in Toronto, working at Hypha. Some projects I currently work on include data integrity at Starling Lab and dweb publishing with Distributed Press. I am joining this forum to follow the interesting discussions here, and to find opportunities for implementing in my projects.

3 Likes

Hi, my name is Yar. It was great meeting you all at dweb camp. I look forward to reading about all the gritty/goblinoid details of this project. More about me at my website https://yar.gay/

3 Likes

Hi, I’m Parnikkapore! I’ve been interested in decentralized, communal technology for a long time, having lurked around in Scuttlebutt, APub / Mastodon, and of course the Goblins community (whose IRC chat led me here). I’m planning to become a web developer, but merely because that seems to be the way to create practical experiences for users these days. Glad to be here!

4 Likes

Hi! I’m @risottobias@tech.lgbt, I’m perpetually impressed and confused by @cwebber’s awesome content. Glad to follow along and maybe one day contribute. I have weird projects involving distributed wikis & governance & mod tooling.

4 Likes

Hi, my name is Iván, I’m interested in LISP and anything decentralized. Came here because of Hoot but I have found a community of really interesting people with a really interesting goal! Right now I’m trying to use hoot and wasm to create a 3d engine (just for fun) with web-gl.

3 Likes